There are many benefits to owning a pet as you get older. When you live alone you may become depressed or anxious. Pets can help lower blood pressure, reduce stress, and increase your physical activity and social interaction. One of the best parts about pets is that they can help lessen loneliness.
Some of the benefits of owning a pet are:
- Companionship – For those who have lost spouses, live far away from family, or have become isolated due to health challenges, loneliness is prevalent. Having a pet can provide a daily companion who loves to see you every morning and evening and is with you throughout the day.
- Purpose – Having a pet gives you a reason to get up in the morning when you are having a hard time getting out of bed. They rely on you to give them food, water, and exercise. This makes it fun for you to plan your day around your pet and support its routine, especially if you live alone.
- Fitness – Taking care of a pet is an active job. I’m not saying running and jumping all over the place, but they keep you active. Getting up to feed them, letting them out, cleaning a cat box, and even taking them on walks.
- Ice Breakers – Bumping into other pet owners gives you common ground. Making conversation about your pets is easy and can help with being more social. This also helps with loneliness.
- Joy – Have you ever noticed how much a dog or cat video makes you smile? It is because they bring us joy. They are fun to watch play, goof around, be clumsy, and even sleep. Having one of your own that you can watch every day will bring a smile to your face knowing that you have a friend for life.